June 30, 2011

"Maybe that's what life is--a wink of the eye and winking stars."


I went to work expecting a long day, but as it turns out everything was better than fine. I was on my way  home when I ran into a few friends who were headed to a little place called The Barley Mow and I ended up going with them. One of the things I really love about the UK and Ireland is the pub culture. When I studied abroad in Cork my favorite pub was this little place called An Spailpin Fanach. Everyone else was obsessed with this place called An Brog because it was big and wild, but I hated An Brog for the same reasons that everyone else loved it. I couldn't hear myself think in An Brog. It was like an American Bar with Irish accents and it just wasn't for me. An Spailpin Fanach on the other hand had a lot more character and local flavor. There was only music if someone showed up with instruments and played it, the owners were nice, and it was easy to have a conversation there even when a band was playing traditional music. 

The Barley Mow reminded me of An Spailpin Fanach. There was a good crowd and our group ended up taking our drinks outside and hanging out in front of the pub. If you have never been to a pub in the UK you are missing out. In American bars I always feel like people are just there to get drunk. Pubs always have a different vibe for me. They are more of a meeting place where you go to unwind and spend time with friends. Sure, people do get drunk at pubs, but that seems like more of a coincidence than a goal. I had a good night and I hope it was the precursor to a good weekend.

Dress: Target
Cardigan: Loft
Belt: Ebay
Shoes: Alloy.com
Earrings: Forever 21

*Title is a Jack Kerouac quote.

Creative Commons License
My Fashion Confession by Ashley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment