March 1, 2011

"When the dark of the night comes around, that's the time when the animal comes alive."

I used to find leopard print incredibly intimidating. By intimidating I mean I was downright scared of it. The idea of leopard print conjured images of skintight sheath dresses paired with hooker high stilettos. Those girls, the ones people talked about, warned you to stay away from, they wore leopard print. Clearly my thinking has evolved. I am still in the beginner class, but I have a new-found love and respect for animal print.

Tuesdays are always extra long for me, but today I went to Walmart after work. So did everybody else, apparently. There was entirely too much humanity for me, particularly once I got in the self check out line behind a couple I'm concerned is headed for domestic violence or divorce. Scanning groceries was not her strong suit and patience was not his. Every time she swiped an item an error occurred and the overworked cashier needed to enter an override code. He began furiously slamming groceries into bags and snarling about how "it" made you not even want to come to the store. Their last grocery scanned and their debit card swiped, he tried to snatch the receipt out of the printer before it had finished printing and they (finally) disappeared into the night. I calmly approached the machine, pushed the "start" button, scanned my single item without incident and was done in under three minutes, a miraculous feat considering it took them almost fifteen. I know that that couple is out there in the ether somewhere, and I want to take this opportunity to thank them for the memories. It was truly special and I know (or rather hope) that I will never have this experience again.

Jacket: Target via Ebay
Blouse: Gap (as old as the hills)
Skirt: New York & Co
Leggings: Gap
Boots: Overstock.com
Belt: Ebay (I've had it for a minute)
Earrings: Laila Rowe

*Title from "Take it off" by Ke$ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment