May 27, 2011

"Tell me you love me and tell me I fell from the firmament. Tell me that anything's possible under the sun."


As a Black woman, there are a lot of conventional beauty tips that don't really work for me. Hot new makeup colors that would look clown ready on my dark skin? Pass. Tips for sexy hair that would work wonderfully on Caucasian hair but would probably leave my ebony hair brittle, damaged, and unhealthy? I'll skip that one too. I realized today that I had accidentally found a way to adapt a beauty tip for my use. 

I have heard over and over again that you should wear "nude" shoes to lengthen your legs. Usually when people say that they mean that you should wear skin tone shoes, but up until this point I have never seen a magazine suggest what "nude" or skin tone means for someone with dark skin. I was walking into a building down the street from work today when this guy looked at my feet and said he had thought I wasn't wearing any shoes from a distance. That's when it clicked for me: cognac is my nude. The next time I see a a magazine espousing the leg lengthening virtues of skin tone shoes I'll know what color I need to shop for. Now if only makeup companies would start making colors that match my skin...

Shirt: Gap
Skirt: New York & Company
Cardigan: J. Crew via Ebay
Shoes: Jessica Simpson
Handbag: New York & Company
Bracelets: Gifted
Earrings: Forever 21

*Title from "Other Side of the World" by Laura Shay.

Creative Commons License

My Fashion Confession by Ashley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment