June 13, 2011

"I've never heard silence quite this loud."


In addition to the normal fashion rules like don't wear white after labor day and don't pair brown with black, I used to have a list of self imposed guidelines that I followed to the letter. Certain colors were reserved for holidays or for a specific time of year, I could only wear "nice" clothes like dresses on special occasions, and I had to be careful about wearing my hair down lest someone think I was "dressed up" for some reason. 

Today I broke one of my rules and I am one proud rebel. Can you guess what the rule was? It's okay if you can't because I'm going to tell you anyway: I wore red and green in the same outfit and it isn't Christmas. Isn't that a crazy rule? It was a rule I followed for years, though. I'm slowly letting go of all the crazy style rules I considered gospel and replacing them with a newfound confidence in my style choices. It's okay if other people don't like or get it. So what? I think that you should wear whatever makes you smile when you look in the mirror. Today, I looked in the mirror and smiled.

Dress: New York & Company
Shirt: New York & Company
Belt: New York & Company
Shoes: Old Navy
Earrings: Forever 21

*Title from "The Story of Us" by Taylor Swift.

Creative Commons License
My Fashion Confession by Ashley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment