June 20, 2011

Unintentional Adventures: The England Edition

My flight to New York was delayed, my plane to London sat on the tarmac for an extra hour before taking off, I wound up in a middle seat on the longer leg of my journey between a chatter and wiggler and I had to wait in a customs and immigration line that must have included thousands of people and took at least two hours to get through. I'm a little tired and a little sore, but in the short time I have been in England I have been on a few unintentional adventures.

I managed to get my bags to the Heathrow tube station by myself with the intention of taking the tube to a station near my housing and then getting a cab from there. That was adventure 1. There was no elevator, or should I say lift, in the station I got off at, but there were stairs. Lots of stairs. I was on my way up the first of two flights with my giant suitcase when some man offered to help me out of the blue. I asked him if he knew where I could get a cab and he pointed me to a nice security officer who instructed me in the mythical art of hailing cabs (You just raise your arm and yell "TAXI!") She pointed me to an exit where she thought I would be able to catch a cab easily. That's where I encountered a second flight of stairs. I was pretty sure the universe was having a great joke at my expense when another nice man offered to carry my heaviest bag up this flight of stairs for me. We don't really have subways or taxis where I'm from so the getting a cab part was still kind of scary. I managed to catch the eye of a driver while he was stopped at a red light. No yelling needed and he got me to my destination quickly and for a reasonable price. Adventure 1 conquered.

The second unintentional adventure came when I decided to go exploring on my own. The cab driver from my first adventure assured me that there were no "dodgy" parts of the area where I was staying so I marched out onto the street feeling confident that I wouldn't get attacked, but sadly a lack of dodgy areas did not prevent me from taking a few wrong turns and winding up very lost. As I was attempting to retrace my steps it started to sprinkle. It wasn't a full on rain or anything but it sprinkled steadily for the next twenty minutes while I wandered around in what I hoped was the right direction to get me back to my room. Fortunately I had an umbrella and no sleekly flat ironed hair was harmed in the course of this adventure, but an adventure it was indeed.

In my third unintentional adventure of the day I decided to look for the grocery store. I had set up my internet at this point so I took my quest to google maps and found a place a few minutes' walk away. I made it there without incident and even managed to buy my groceries at the self check out line which I avoid like the plague when I'm at home. Here's what I changed into after I found my way to my home away from home:

Tee: Loft
Skirt: Tommy Hilfiger via Ebay
Cardigan: New York & Company
Belt: New York & Company
Shoes: Old Navy

Creative Commons License
My Fashion Confession by Ashley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment