June 22, 2011

"You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Dress: New York & Company
Cardigan: New York & Company
Belt: Ebay
Shoes: Old Navy
Bracelets: Gifted
Earrings: Forever 21

The first week at a new job should not count. I'm just saying. There should be a grace period. This is what I wore for the first day of my internship and I was way more jet lagged than I let on, way more sore than I pretended to be, and way less on top of my life than is ideal. I got lost on the way to work and had to stop no less than three times to ask for directions. I made it on time, but I was pretty tired for most of the day and getting lost a second time on my way home did not help. It started raining while I was wandering around again (story of my life) but just as I was starting to get worried I passed a Subway restaurant that I recognized from the previous day's adventures. I've been told in the past that the best way to learn how to get around a new city is to get lost a few times and I now think that's true. I remembered how to get home once I saw that logo and I might never have found my way if I hadn't gotten lost on that first day. 

As for my outfit, I will tell you that this is not what I had planned on wearing. I like to wear a plain outfit on my first day at a new job because plain is acceptable in almost every workplace while bright colors and prints are not. I like to show up in something simple on the first day and pay attention to what everyone else is wearing so that I will know for future reference what I can get away with. Unfortunately most of my clothes were wrinkled after spending so much time rolled, folded, and/or stuffed in my luggage so I ended up choosing this dress because it had a simple shape and wasn't terribly wrinkled. I am finding that there are a lot of things that I don't have control of these days from when I will get lost to which of my clothes will be available at any given time. I'm learning to live with that. Not everything will be perfect in England or in life. I guess that's my lesson for the week.

*Title from "You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile" from the Annie Soundtrack.

Creative Commons License
My Fashion Confession by Ashley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment